This is the first year I have ever made an advent calendar and I don't necessarily know that I would have made one if I had found one in the stores. I just could not find any in my local shops! How weird. So out of frustration of not being able to find one, I started thinking of ways I could make my own. Trying to think of things I had around the house...something with compartments that could be used to put goodies in... it HIT ME! Why not use the extra letterpress drawer I had?!
So I got crafty with it!
- First I measured out the rectangle shapes and cut them out of kraft paper (There are about 4 or 5 different sizes that can be duplicated).
- Then I used some festive washi tape (found at Michael's) to randomly mark my compartments
- Once I got the placement, I took each piece of paper off one by one and started to number them from 1 to 25 just with a red colored pencil.
- I placed the numbers in a random fashion just to make it more fun to find the number every day, but you may choose to place them in order if you like!
- Lastly, I filled each compartment with chocolates and candies
What you'll need:
Letterpress drawer (flea markets or antique shops might have them), kraft paper, colored pencil or marker, washi tape or decorative tape, scissors or paper cutter, ruler, goodies to fill your calendar with
Let me know if you have any questions! It's such a unique and pretty way to display an Advent Calendar in your home for Christmas. I hope you enjoy this little project. If you make one of your own, I'd love to see it!